Cannas Australia Heritage and Hybrid Garden Plants
Welcome to Cannas Australia.
Growing these tropical plants I have really enjoyed as they just flower for so long here in Victoria, my canna collection has grown and includes old heritage and hybrid canna plants such as the old Yellow King Humbert Cannas to some new garden plants like Canna Vestarae to the dwarf short growing spotted cultivar with the appropriate name of Spotted Delight.
Looking for a particular canna or flower color? Use the search box below to find it fast on Cannas Australia.
Cannas like the cultivar Annjee pictured above are sometimes called canna bulbs learn about what cannas really are and how much cannas increase and propagate
One of the oldest cannas was raised in 1848 it is called Annei this was the first canna to be hybridized, Annei is a hybrid from the species Glauca and I’m glad to have them both growing in my garden. Some other heirloom types that were popular in their day were the plants raised and known as the Antoine Crozy Cannas.
Often these summer flowering plants are found for sale under the name cannas x generalis.
Sometimes they are also called canna lilies, these heritage plants can still be found growing in old gardens, some are also suitable as pond plants, yet these exotic plants also take the dry and are tough water wise plants and have stood the test of time here in Victoria and abroad.
As tough as these plants are they dont flower in winter.
Canna plants are long time growing perennials that flower throughout the year in areas that dont get frost damage in winter.
These are some of my picture scans from old vintage gardening catalogues and magazine that I've collected over the years, the old canna lilly flowers are colored so beautiful.
Species such as canna Warscewiczii and Iridiflora are a few of the original old types.
Here is a scanned picture I brought of a hand finished litho of species Liliiflora it was published around the 1860s.
When growing cannas you too will find they have beautiful flowers and foliage and they come in a wide range of colors including green, purple toned, bronzed and some have variegated foliage like the white leaves seen on the spectacular Stuttgart pictured below.
They really do offer something for everyone’s palette as there are many types to choose from. These are easy to grow perennial plants learn about planting them so you can enjoy the colors of some canna flowers in your garden.
I hope you enjoy browsing my canna site and find some useful information to take away with you. Cannas Australia is now an Information and research site covering cannas grown, bred and found throughout Australia.
- Cannas Australia Sitemap
- Use the Sitemap to find every page listed on Cannas Australia
- The Canna Lily and Why These Plants are Called This Name
- What is a Canna Lily are Cannas a true Lilies. What do you know these garden plants as. What is the correct name
- Exotic Cannas Use's and Purpose of these Perennial Tropical Plants
- How Cannas have been used around the world. Not just as garden plants. In art a food source and jewelry
- Tips for Growing Cannas Where to Plant and How to For that Exotic Garden Look
- Ideas for Growing Cannas. Where to Plant. What position is best. Sun or Shade for these tropicals. Ideal for backyard ponds and amongst cottage gardens and watering needs
- Different Parts of Canna Flowers their Names and Purpose
- Parts of Canna Flowers what are they called. Petals and flower buds. Purpose of colors on these beautiful garden plants
- Height of Canna Plants Short Medium Tall and Giant Growing Cannas
- Different heights of Canna Plants. Will a dwarf plant grow taller. How tall can cannas grow
- Exciting Tropical Canna Foliage as Colorful Accent Plants
- Colors of Canna Foliage. Variegated leaves of green shades and purple colored plants
- Variegated Foliage Cannas a Range of Stripes and Block Colours on Large Leaves
- Exotic plants with variegated foliage are the Cannas with colourful striped bright leaves. Description and pictures of these colourful garden plants.
- Canpelkni Blooms Picture Gallery of Favourite Cannas in Australia
- Beautiful Cannas at Canpelkni Blooms Australia Canna Collection. Magnificent old flowers shouldn’t be forgotten. Cream of the crop Garden Cannas
- Prints of Canna Flowers from Old Antique Pictures, Beautiful Old Garden Flowers
- Old antique prints of canna flowers for sale as once grown in old gardens
- How Canna Seeds Develop and Grow from Pollination to Harvest
- Choosing and checking Canna seeds for sowing. Planting the hard black seeds, how they grow
- Reader Canna Questions and Aswers
- I receive Canna questions frequently and always try to give honest, helpful answers. I have selected some of the best Q and A's about Cannas and posted to Cannas Australia.com
- The Smallest Canna plant I Unknowingly Brought Through Mail Order
- Some of the smallest canna plants that have been posted to me over the years, pictures of some tiny plants I have bought, see how little they were.
- Cannas Blog
- The Cannas Blog keeps you up to date with all additions including some new garden finds and changes to the cannas-australia.com Web site. Keep informed. Subscribe here.
- Cannas Garden Diary of Australian Plants
- Garden Diary of cannas long flowering perennial plants. What happens and when. Flower guide throughout the year
- Canpelkni Blooms Canna Varieties of these Tropical Flowering Plants
- Exotic plants of Canna Varieties. Growing cannas in Australia as garden flowers perennials
- Gardening with Red Cannas the Different Types of Red Tropical Flowers
- Tropical Red Cannas with bright and colorful garden flowers. Shades of red flowers and varieties. Names and pictures
- Bronze Leaf Colored Red Cannas as Foliage Plants in the Graden Design
- Dark foliage and bronze leaf colored red cannas for pots and garden plants
- Color Shades of Yellow Cannas as Bright Colorful Garden Plants
- Gardening with yellow cannas plus the many different tones of soft and rich yellow for the garden
- Gallery of Pink Cannas All the Shades of Pink Colored Garden Flowers
- Photos of Pink Cannas I grow. In many different shapes and shades. Pictures and descriptions of pink tropical plants
- Flowering Cannas with Orange Flowers
- Different varieties of cannas with orange flowers. Coloured and shaded in different types of orange bi coloured and border trimmed cannas.
- Australia Cole Cannas The heirloom Australian Garden Plants
- The Cole Cannas raised in Australia. Plant Names. Varieties and Pictures of these Australian Hybrids. Still widely grown as bedding plants
- Beautiful Australia Cole Cannas H- Z. Old Plants Bred by Charles F Cole
- Growing the Australia Cole Cannas. Colours of these exotic plants. Old Cole Aussie hybrid gardening plants. Most Cole cultivars have green leaves.
- Old Canna Breeders of These Tough Tropical Garden Plants
- The best Canna Breeders of old hybrid plants and new exotic looking cannas
- How to contact me at Cannas Australia
- Get in Touch. Contact me with questions. Give me feedback. Information regarding Cannas that you need to know about
- Old Paintings of Cannas and Pictures of Canna Plants For Sale
- Beautiful Paintings of Cannas and prints of canna plants plus quality floral posters for sale to buy online
- Tropical Plants Of Canna Valentine With Bright CeriseGarden Flowers
- Unusual colored canna Valentine by Herb Kelly is a medium growing plant
- Dark leaf Canna Tropicanna Black is Like other Red Flowering Cannas
- Familiar Canna Tropicanna Black on trial growing with other dark leafed red flowering cannas. After two years the results are in learn what I found
- Sensational Old Canna Flamingo raised in 1895 by Dingee and Conard.
- As sold in 1896 Canna Flamingo. Solid crimson without a spot or blemish, has the true Gladiolus form found in no other cannas.